Mission: Network

There is no plan. I think about something Joe related that I want to write about, I write it. Sometimes I will review, sometimes they will be current releases... most often vintage stuff. Sometimes I will indulge in nostalgia or issues that plague me. But this is my message in a bottle. I want to hear from you, your stories. Comment! Or mail me: stephen.jubber@gmail.com

Friday 17 February 2012

Nostalgia Trippin'

Only one child in that photo got a G.I. Joe from Santa on break-up  day. The rest had a festive season of 100% suck. Look at skater-kid-on-the-left's unashamed envy. Yeah he's smiling. But inside he wishes he was clutching that 1989 Stalker and his oh so epic included kayak. That figure was a ton of bang for your buck. Oh, and you guessed it, that lucky bugger in the middle holding it is me. Girl to the right can't stand it. 
Yes, Christmas of '89 was to be a good one. Got that sweet Stalker in the buildup, and Snake-Eyes on the big day. I didn't know it then, but I now know all too well how fitting it was to have those two figures united. Original team members, Vietnam buddies, essential core characters. But it was not meant to be. Tragically Stalker perished in the perilous jungles of the front yard, shredded to bits by a ferocious giant lawnmower attack. Snake-Eyes went the way of any sought-after, highly prized toy. Somebody nicked it. Children are ruthless. 

Flash forward to 2003, something new and exciting was happening in the world of G.I. Joe. Two new and exciting things in fact. You could order them from Amazon. Well, not if you were South African- for some reason Amazon wouldn't ship toys internationally at that stage, so an American friend of the fam sent the box on. The other new and exciting thing was NEW JOES! The new era of Joe sculpting and articulation had landed. My friends and I rejoiced...

...for a little while. It soon became evident that the new-sculpt era of Joes were a little more durable but horribly inferior to the old skool toys in every other way. Yuck. But it didn't stop us from celebrating the arrival of new toys. And bonus! My brother found a DVD of the '87 G.I. Joe animated movie. You can spot it in the bubble envelope on the bed, top left corner. I hadn't seen it since I was the age I was in the top two pics, and my buddies Al and Rob had never seen it. COBRALALALALALALALAAAA!
 
These were the offenders, left to right: Flint versus Baroness; Blowtorch versus Snow Serpent; Beachhead versus Dr. Mindbender; Duke versus Cobra Commander; Stalker versus Zartan.
It was a groundbreaking buy at the time. Up until then, I never had a Baroness, Blowtorch, Snow Serpent, Beach, Mindbender or Zartan. Much needed hole-filling. And I had some fun with them, before finally realizing that they were very much the ugly duckling of the Joe line and making them 'disappear'. 

3 comments:

  1. the 3 guys in the 2003 picture, are they all the fans on the GIJoburg podcast?

    and "offenders" is a very apt word for the whole 2002-03 GIJoe Vs Cobra line of figures save for a couple exceptions like Firefly and techno Wet-Suit (damn them for never giving him the o-ring retrofit)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I request a discussion of Slaughter's Marauders as a whole in episode 14. I'd love to hear the panel's thoughts on the figures and vehicles, good or bad.

    yes I'm serious

    ReplyDelete
  3. JD! My apologies for not answering your question! The fellas in the photo make up two thirds of GI Joburg. I'm in the middle, Rob to the right. The third guy is my buddy Alastair who outgrew the hobby and moved to the coast. But I'll wager he'd still want to mess around with my Joes. He made a point of returning to Cape Town in Christmas 2010 for the arrival of my Flagg...

    As for Paul from the Podcast, I met him much later in a comic store in Johannesburg. We struck up conversation and it became apparent we both had an abnormal amount of knowledge about all things Joe. Fast friends...

    ReplyDelete