Mission: Network

There is no plan. I think about something Joe related that I want to write about, I write it. Sometimes I will review, sometimes they will be current releases... most often vintage stuff. Sometimes I will indulge in nostalgia or issues that plague me. But this is my message in a bottle. I want to hear from you, your stories. Comment! Or mail me: stephen.jubber@gmail.com

Friday 13 July 2012

Cobra HISS II



Cobra HISS. Two words that should have no logical connection to an armored fighting vehicle. But to a fan of GI Joe, these words should spark images of an angular, black, tracked vehicle. The HI-Speed Sentry was Cobra's first entry into the ground vehicle category. It had a solid helping of armor, firepower, mobility, versatility and capacity. It also had an iconic look that entrenched Cobra's flair for the unconventional. As a solid workhorse of the Cobra arsenal, it served with distinction in every major medium. But there was of course room for improvement and six years after the first HISS tank saw combat, the second generation of HISS tanks arrived.


The HISS II is beefed up in every regard. Where the original was piloted by a single operator, it's successor seated two. The cannons were enlarged and a third barrel added. Additional weapons such as coaxial machine guns and missiles were added, as was a rear hatch with capacity for four troops. All welcome changes that continue the legacy and adding to the versatility and capabilities of the HISS. All changes for the good. But here's the rub. The colour. Opting to ditch the original black in favor of a blue-grey, we have red accents in the form of the canopy and weapons. Basically we see the seeds of the poor toy coloring choices that dominated the nineties. Toxic Crusaders anyone?


Colors aside, other oddities to this design are the fact that the pilot egress is via a lowering 'jaw', for lack of a better word. It's a bit finicky in toy form. In reality I can only imagine it's a maintenance nightmare. The pilot seats are pretty spartan, but then again, Track Vipers look more like robots than humans. How a human head fits into that helmet I will never know.


 The tank has teeny tiny (red: why?) roller wheels and not the functioning treads reserved only for the zenith of Joe armor - the MOBAT, Mauler and Patriot Grizzy. Okay, not the last one. But bizarrely if you take the rollers away the universal joint between the treads doesn't clear the ground!


Silliness! And if you are cruising thru moderately long grass, forget about the missiles. They ride so low that they snag everything. With two crew up front, the tank has a tendency to be front-heavy and can flop forward. The barrels of the gun are quizzical in a number of ways. How are they loaded, where is the ammunition stored? The gun mold is hollow and as you tilt the guns up, you get a big ugly eyeful.


But the guns do have a pretty solid range of movement and look like they could do some damage. In addition to the standard armament, the crew portion has slits side and read to poke rifles through if the opportunity should arise to ward off infantry. The rollers move well, while I do always prefer functioning treads, they never give as good a roll as the lil' wheel approach, so the compromise brings advantages. The tailgate mechanism can be a little finickity as it drops and slides out, but I praise it for allowing one to access the troop section simply without, say, something as phony as the roof splitting for instance. And it is vital that you access the troop section. Placing figures in their cramped seats would be nigh-impossible otherwise. In a nod to the original there are footpegs on the tailgate, but it would be in those troops' best interests to disembark before the gate drops on their shins.



 So in closing, what are my thoughts on the HISS II? In every respect an improvement on the original. It retains the Cobra eccentricity, adds new capabilities and yet is not dramatically larger. Aside from the red, I'm fond of the colouring, as I say, my only criticism is it being out of place next to the other Cobra vehicles. But then again, for every HISS, Stun or Ferret, there's a Maggot or Rage. You are not spoiled for choice when it comes to Conra armor, but you can do no better than the HISS II.

8 comments:

  1. I'm getting a HISS 2, it's in the mail to me now. Liked it when I was a kid better than I do as an adult but it's a unique variant on the HISS formula and that's one of my focuses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what do you think of your HISS II then, JD? And does it fit with your other HISS tanks or is it begging for a custom paint job?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HISS II sculpt is still a bit over-detailed and therefore kind of "lumpy" looking but I mostly like its intricate look.

    The gray-tinted blue is okay but the loud red cannon and side guns are is dire need of being repainted in some kind of metallic color. Maybe bronze to contrast the blue hull or gunmetal gray to compliment the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bronze sounds pretty wild. I'm a bit too conservative for anything other than flat black or gunmetal. So if you do go the bronze route please send me a pic or two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm gonna brainstorm it tonight with a customizing buddy of mine and see what he thinks. We always bat custom ideas back and forth so his input might help me decide exactly what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I figured it out. I want to keep the red in the formula but not the super bright red. Yes, I'll send a picture when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first saw one in 1989 on New Zealand shelves, it looked so cool on the box art etc, alas I could never afford it.


    Fast forward to 2012 when I win one off a local auction, all parts intact just a little used and loved. Was it worth it? well for the cheap price... hell yeah. Gave it a wash, removed the yellowed stickers and gave it a paint job.


    If there is one thing the vehicle needs, it's a counter weight at the back. as the vehicle likes to tip forward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dead on. I can't believe I reviewed the damn thing and didn't mention it's handicap. More than any other HISS, she loves to tip back.

    And you''re a Kiwi sir? Well you are very welcome here. I'm sure GI Joe collecting was an arduous task.

    ReplyDelete