Mission: Network

There is no plan. I think about something Joe related that I want to write about, I write it. Sometimes I will review, sometimes they will be current releases... most often vintage stuff. Sometimes I will indulge in nostalgia or issues that plague me. But this is my message in a bottle. I want to hear from you, your stories. Comment! Or mail me: stephen.jubber@gmail.com

Sunday 13 March 2011

Flagg By Night

If you own or have scrutinized pictures of the U.S.S Flagg, you may realise that it  doesn't have much of a hull. Using my limited carpentry skills I shaped a wooden board to match the hull, raised the hull on wooden 'walls', painted it and put the whole thing on trolley wheels. I cut some doorways into the walls and painted it all grey. Last move was to put some LEDs into the new chambers and the island to give light in otherwise impossibly dark sections. I give you some pics on the result. Big thanks to my buddy Al for his help with wiring it up. I am pretty rubbish and he got it done in one attempt where I would have probably taken five and a few grey hairs.
The Island. The chambers with computers are well lit. The arb chambers, not so much
The bridge with Cutter and Keel Haul. So far only one of the LED lights have died. And  I'm open to suggestions on how  to mask that wire...
Long Range on weapons' control
Briefing center with Hawk, Wild Bill, Beach Head, Low Light, Sci-Fi, Leatherneck, Airborne, Windmill, Countdown, Ace and Lift Ticket. An explanation for that combo of personnel wins a prize!  
Enlisted personnel quarters
Amphibious vehicle bay with SHARCs and Warthog
Skystorm (a personal favourite) in maintenance bay

4 comments:

  1. Loving this!! It looks rad. And I'm guessing the gathering of Joes is significant 'cos they were all made in the same year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All except for the pilots, but I'll accept. I believe that's two prizes I owe you, Robot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take some wider shots of the FLAGG, you have to post this on HISSTANK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome work and great blog! Just came across it yesterday and I'm excited to keep reading. You've got a fan in Iowa City, Iowa!

    ReplyDelete